As of today, I am officially 26 weeks pregnant… which means I feel large & in charge and EXHAUSTED all the time! BUT, this last week or two, I had a revelation. After being in a bit of a funk all month (maybe you could call it the post-holiday blues), I realized by making sure I take care of myself by doing the list below, I am in a better mood & have more energy throughout the day… and this is CAFFEINE FREE!
- Go for a brisk, short walk – Taking time to walk 1 or 2 miles will give you the endorphins your body is craving to feel better about itself. All you need is 30 minutes… If you’re like me, you will feel the difference immediately.
- Set up some social outtings (with or without the kiddos) – It’s so easy for us to get into our day to day routines… wake up, make breakfast, take the kids to an activity, come home, lunch, nap time (when you do chores)…. and the rest of the day is a blur of exhaustion. Try to find time to hang with some adults to have intellectual conversation at least once a week. It will give you something to look forward to during the week & afterwards you will find yourself on an adult high.
- Eat for Energy – Yes, you can still treat yourself to the delicious foods you are craving… I’m talking about my milkshake addiction!! However, focus your diet around having more high-fiber vegetables, whole grains, protein & fruits. Midday I will usually make myself a plant protein smoothie to give me energy to get over the hump.
- Go to bed early – Sometimes this is easier said than done, however, if you make a conscious effort to get to bed early, in the morning you will find yourself with more energy to get a jump start on your day and maybe even get up before your kiddos! (My goal lately has been to at least shower & try to write a blog before getting my daughter out of bed… so far, so good!)
- Don’t sweat the small stuff – Stressing over little things is sometimes difficult, especially with our raging hormones, but if you are able to let the little things go, for example that your husband refuses to put his dirty clothes in the hamper but instead leaves it on the floor 3 feet away (my reality), instead of letting it fester inside of you, you will feel much better. The negative energy it takes from you puts a huge damper on your mood & day… taking away patience with your little one, the want to make a delicious meal for dinner or even go for that walk you’ve been wanting to go on!
So, take care of yourself & get through this pregnancy! You are beautiful, strong and MAKING A HUMAN! You can do anything 🙂