January is the month to get your butt into gear! It’s the time people often push “reset” and set big goals to be healthier and stronger!! We think to ourselves, this year I am going to make good habits.
I don’t know about you, but as a regular gym-goer, January can be a frustrating month. The gym is always overly crowded and every time I plan a workout for myself, someone is always on the equipment I need. HOWEVER, this year I am going to put on my rose-colored glasses and see this as a positive thing!
As a trainer, this makes me very excited! I love seeing people ready to work to achieve a healthier life! But there is one catch… you have to keep going throughout the year! So, how do you plan to get over the January health hump? Will you continue this healthy lifestyle for the months to come?
Here are some tips to keep the momentum going:
- Have an attainable plan. Set in your schedule when you are going to workout (and make sure be realistic!). Going from zero workouts to working out everyday is a huge lifestyle change… try to find something in the middle!
- Find the type of exercising you love to do!! We are more likely to do a class with a friend than to run on a dreadful treadmill for 30 min completely bored! Find what exercise brings you joy and you want to do again and again.
- Food is fuel!! Try to eat whole foods you enjoy and make good choices. Fruit, veggies and lean proteins! Diet is 80%!!! You can’t out exercise a horrible diet.
- Water Water Water! How much water are you drinking in a day? You should drink at least half of your body weight in ounces per day! The more water you drink, the better you move and think!
- Remember something is better than nothing! Do you have time to take a walk during lunch? Go for a mile run? Maybe even 50 burpees behind your work desk!! You’d be amazed at how these small efforts add up.
I always tell my clients that summer bodies are made ALL year round! Make smart choices. With consistency and time, results will show. Believe in YOU!