Okay… you are well into your third trimester (LIKE ME!! Less than 3 weeks til due date!!!) and you need to think about preparing everything you will need when it’s go-time. There are so many lists out there – usually with way too much on them, but here is what I have packed and ready to go when I start going into labor:
Basics for Mom:
- ID & Insurance Info (most hospitals let you register online prior to your visit, I’d recommend doing so so it is not a headache while you are in labor!)
- 2-3 sets of comfy night clothes – if you plan to breastfeed, I recommend button ups. I’m warm bodied by nature so am bringing 2 sets of shorts/short sleeve & one set of long pants/long sleeves. Target has a great selection! Remember, after birth, your body will be at about the size it was when you were 7 months pregnant, so think loose and flowy! Also, go for dark colors… you are about to experience the worst “period” of your life.
- Lightweight robe – in case you are chilly and want to layer up
- Flip flops for the shower/walking around the room/halls
- 3 Maternity bras/comfy sports bras
- 3-4 pairs of full underwear – you will not want to be wearing any thongs. You will likely still want to wear the gauze underwear provided by the hospital, but bring some of your own, just in case.
- Outfit to head home in… I packed a comfy, black maxi dress that I fit into at all stages of my pregnancy.
Toiletries for Mom: (You can call me high maintenance, but these are what I consider necessities… we will be taking lots of photos)
- Face wash & skincare needs
- Belly moisturizer (I have been using Spoiled Mamas Bump Gloss & Tummy Butter)
- Makeup basics
- Bl0wdryer/hot tools
- Hair ties/clips – you may want your hair out of your face during delivery
- Hair products – I will definitely be bringing my dry shampoo & textured salt spray!
- Glasses/Contact needs
- Phone Chargers – bring more than 1!
- iPad – for show/music entertainment. May be nice during delivery, depending on your birth plan & situation, or after delivery. You will be awake most the time you are at the hospital after delivery… you may want to have a show or two on standby on your device for entertainment. Or bring a book!
- Camera – I know we usually just use our phones these days, but you may want your camera for this special day!
- SNACKS!!! We will be bringing some Clif Bars at the very least for after the birth. You don’t know how long this process will be and you are going to be huuuuuungry after all the work your body just did. I’ve also read that hard candy is totally necessary for during birth. During my first, I just chewed on ice… I don’t think I could have handled a jolly rancher or anything – but figured since I read it from multiple sources, I’d share with you!
- 2-3 comfy outfits
- Glasses/Contact Needs
- 2-3 outfits in different sizes (NB-3 Months)
- Mittens, Socks & Hats
- Swaddlers/cozy breathable blanket
- The hospital will provide diapers & other essentials, but if you are feeling particular on which brand/quality you want to use for your baby, bring your own packs.
Cordblood Kit – We have decided to save our baby’s cord blood & cord tissue. It’s a bit pricey but worth it. We did it for Ella & are very happy to have it saved for our family’s future health. We use CBR… do some research & feel free to reach out if you have any questions at all.
I really hope this is helpful and that you have a beautiful birthing experience! This is one of the scariest moments of life, but also the most incredible moment beyond what you could ever imagine!!!